Friday 25 September 2015

Trangia 27-8UL/HA

My Chinese multi-fuel stove failed on the first night of a recent trip. The fuel bottle leaked when starting to pressurise, something I'd seen before and it seemed to be just a sticky o-ring. I'd diddled with it three times and got covered in petrol each time I tried it again. I was done with it.

I had already been re-evaluating what I need from a stove considering what I tend to cook. My mate had made a comment about reliability being key and that struck a chord. He'd been using a Trangia for a fair few years but when I'd borrowed one to try, years before, it seemed to use lots of fuel for a very slow cook, so I'd dismissed them as not what I'd wanted.

I managed to survive the weekend by eating only either stuff that didn't need to be cooked or that only needed hot water (begged or borrowed). By my thinking (and from how my mate had talked about his) a Trangia should now be reconsidered but if I'm going to splash out, maybe I should get the hard anodised version as it should last a bit longer being shaken around on the bike.

The HA version should be tough. The Trangia design is inherently stable (no wobbly pots sliding off or the whole thing tipping over). They also don't heat the surface they're sitting on to any significant degree so could be used on groundsheets or tables without fear of scorching. Kettle and pans nest and work together meaning it's compact and almost everything you need is together. They don't need any special lighting requirements, pre-heating etc, just a spark will do it. Fuel supposedly lasts longer (cheaper per meal/less to carry) and they simmer well. Of course non-stick means little or no oil required and easier cleaning too. What's not to like? Maybe they're not the fastest, but I'm not usually in a rush.


No comments:

Post a Comment